[wplug] Mount Remote Drive

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 18:30:27 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Greg Simkins <gregsim at telerama.com> wrote:
> I want to run VMware vitualizer on my physical (Dell) Windows
> 2003 Server, then copy the resulting image to a remote server
> running ubuntu, where I will operate it as a virtual machine,
> then shut down the physical server.

First off, please tell me you used the 2GB filesize option.  ;)

> Is there a way to mount the remote server as a drive letter on
> the Windows server so that I can output the image directly to
> the new server?

Of course!  The SaMBa service emulates Server Message Block (SMB, aka
 "Windows Networking") network file services, but why would you?
Just use scp/sftp to upload to the server.  Much easier/cleaner, and
far more secure.  SaMBa is not easy to setup, especially when it
comes to the non-SMB portions of naming, authentication, etc...d

> I notice that Windows wizard will link to an ftp site.  I am
> not currently running ftp on the ubuntu, but ssh.  If I have to
> use ftp, I will create a new user, do the transfer, then delete
> the user.  I don't want to transmit my root password via ftp.
> Is that the best way?

Use the scp/sftp commands in the SSH suite, as others mentioned.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com