[wplug] [wplug-announce] Installfest this weekend

Pat Barron pat at tiderium.com
Wed Aug 8 10:39:39 EDT 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, O'Connor, Michael P. wrote:
> Will any one have FC7 on CD there? ( my system does not have a DVD drive
> in it)
>
> (and NO I am not interested in changing distros, so please don't try to
> suggest another one, I am happy with FC and going to just stick with it)

Unfortunately, I probably won't be there, or I'd be happy to bring you a
Fedora 7 Live CD.  The Live CD can be used to do a network-based install
(with a core set of installable packages on the CD itself, and the rest
pulled down from the net).  That's about the best you can do, since the
Fedora Project has discontinued producing full distributions on CD.

With a fast network connection, I've had really good success installing
Fedora 7 from the "minimal" CD boot image.  The ISO image is less than
8 megabytes, you can burn it to CD and boot from it.  It pulls down
absolutely everything it needs over the net, and installs that way.  If
you're just installing one system, and have a cable modem or something,
you might find this to be the path of least resistance.

You can get the minimal boot image from one of the distribution mirrors.
Here's an example -

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/images/boot.iso

You have to point the installer to the full URL to the distribution on
whatever mirror you are using.  In this case, it would be:

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os

The installer brings down whatever it needs as it's running.

Hope this helps...

--Pat.