[wplug] Installfest: SPARCstation IPX

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 17:54:12 EDT 2007

Neal Sofge <neal_sofge at rand.org> wrote:
> Anyone want to try getting the above-mentioned system running this
> Saturday?  It's accompanied by a 10-Base-T transceiver, but nothing
> else (which means no adapters for the funky Sun ports for
> video-out, SCSI, or keyboard; plastic covers are still in place
> over the two serial ports).
> Vance suggests looking here for specs: <http://www.obsolyte.com/
> sun_ipx/>.

I remember doing GNU/VxWorks development on Solaris on these boxes in
the '90s.  We had a lot of them and I didn't have to complain to get
64MB of RAM, like I did if I wanted to run the Cygwin toolchain on a
Windows PC.

Luckily I finally just moved to a Linux host on PC instead.  After
using SLS/Slackware for so many years for server, I became a Red Hat
wennie for my newfound developer desktop.  Especially since Red Hat
finally took a lead in kernel NFS support starting with Red Hat Linux
5.2 with kernel 2.2 in 1998.

So I then recycled a lot of these boxes, along with DECstations, as
NetBSD-based X/terminals.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com