[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Paul Armor parmor at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Mon Apr 23 11:36:39 EDT 2007

On Redhat-like distros, kickstart's the distro's included poison... it's
possible to do some interesting things with it.  We use it for our ~25
general computing machines, and two clusters (one w/ 300 compute nodes,
one with 780 compute nodes).  We tie this in with managing configs in CVS,
and have a cloning machine mount, cp -r checked out CVS of configs,
reboot; crude but it works...  I'm trying to find the time to use
something like cfengine to take care of the last bits (and pushing
subsequent updates to cvs).

We also use yum to handle updating packages, and manage the flow of what
we want updated in our own mirror of the distro's official updates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Paul