[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Apr 21 10:35:34 EDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:32:59 -0600 (MDT)
Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:

> "Michael H. Semcheski" <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Each workstation would be almost identical.  It shouldn't make a
> > difference if someone logs into one or another, they should get the
same
> > home directory.
>
> For the ultimate in making workstations interchangeable, you may
> want to investigate the Linux Terminal Server Project
> <http://www.ltsp.org/>.  This may not be a good choice if users
> will be doing a lot of CPU-intensive calculations or OpenGL
> visualizations, but otherwise, it makes life easier by
> centralizing administration.
>
> I can't speak from personal experience, but Jim McQuillan's
> presentation on LTSP at Ohio LinuxFest was very compelling.

I would find out what kind of apps you are expecting them to run, then
ask the LTSP group.  This REALLY sounds like a job for LTSP.  I use it
in my home, I use 3 compaq ipaqs (the computers, not the hand-helds) as
clients.  Each of the clients cost me ~30bucks off ebay (that includes
the shipping).

You can usually get a lot of 3 or lot of 5 off ebay.  Then use the extra
money for a REALLY beefy server.  Then CPU intensive is no longer a real
problem.  (get a multi processor server, with dual-core processors, gig
ethernet and switch for the client side).
With the really big server and simple clients you can basically "future
proof" your system.   The clients are basically "disposable" and the
server has enough horse power to be "cutting edge" for a number of year.

I know I am jadded, I use LTSP for a number of years - but I really can
not sing its praises enough.  (Although in this setting, I think it is
very important to know what apps they might be running, the apps could
change my mind)

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org