[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Sat Apr 21 10:16:38 EDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 12:13:05AM -0400, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> I guess one question specific question for anyone out there -- have
> you tried mounting /home over NFS or AFS?

This is exactly what AFS was designed for.  In the Andrew system at
CMU, workstations were all interchangeable -- the local disk was used
as an AFS cache, and all applications and user data were on the AFS
servers.

I've never administered it myself, but my sense is that AFS is more
complex to set up, but in return provides much better performance than
an all-NFS (i.e. diskless) setup.