[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 01:40:08 EDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Michael H. Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Our users will be doing a lot of CPU intensive calculations, so I'm not sure
> if LTSP is the way to go, unless we get a really massive main server, and a
> bunch of wafer-thin clients.

There are some nice Linux distros to make use of clustered
computing/HPC where each machine is using spare CPU cycles to aid in a
calculation etc.. Instead of one big really expensive server get a
bunch of more affordable machines and take advance of all the CPUs
working together. Also forgo stuff you don't need (sound, or high end
video) and buy extra CPUs so each machine can do SMP.

some linux sites:
http://www.linuxhpc.org/
http://www.mosix.org/
http://www.beowulf.org/
http://www.clustermatic.org

some vendors:
http://www.pssclabs.com/
http://www.penguincomputing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=5&Itemid=311

Or if you have a bunch of PS2s lying around collecting dust:
http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/cluster.php
:-)

Zach