[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Fri Apr 20 20:17:37 EDT 2007

I have some experience with this... but I'd say up front that a researcher's needs will depend (to a LARGE extent) on what kind of work he's doing. I've found that the engineering/math culture is MUCH more linux friendly than say... pathology (where I worked). John, if he's still around, would probably agree. That said here's my retrospective:

I was at Pitt, and found it very very difficult to avoid the use of microsoft. For the sake of efficiency, I'd recommend making sure that he's using whatever OTHER people are using in his computing environment for end-user use. I can feel the "boooos!" already, but this was my experience. There's nothing worse than sending a .pdf or plain text file to some administrator who can't get their computer out of first gear. Another major hassle was Powerpoint- Pitt would ONLY accept poster submissions in powerpoint format. Lame! Bottom line, be prepared to encounter a very non-flexible enviroment IF that's the culture of your department (as it was in mine).

Second- I would have liked to keep EVERYTHING in as simple a format as possible. References, primary data (of course), and even emails should be kept in non-proprietary formats. If I did it again, I'd start with a very simple MySql or something, and build on it as needed so that I could cross reference things. I'd get a network storage device, preferably one that's wireless and that I could easily relocate (when they move your office).  Backup backup backup!! My laptop was stolen from my car, and I only lost 1 week of data thanks to backups! This should ideally be done on a daily basis (scheduled task to a different hard-drive).

While it's just my opinion, I've found that the records I refer back to are those kept in the most durable formats. I have no idea where my old EndNote references are anymore (they've been lost with revisions to the software), but I've got a huge crossreferenceable database (in plain text format) that I use with BibDesk.

Best of luck!
-Doug