[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Apr 20 14:08:42 EDT 2007

> Our users will be doing a lot of CPU intensive calculations, so I'm not sure
> if LTSP is the way to go, unless we get a really massive main server, and a
> bunch of wafer-thin clients.
>
> I guess my question really comes down to this:  There are a lot of cool
> things I know of that I can do with one linux computer.  But what about 10
> computers?
>
> Its should be easily managed - I'm a little bit daring, but ultimately my
> job is to write software, not administer it.
>
> It should be stable - if the whole operation is not running, we've got a
> bunch of people whose time is valuable sitting on their hands.
>
> It doesn't have to be super secure - this is an academic setting, and its a
> small group of peers, and they're firewalled off.  They understand trust.
>
> So just throwing that out there, I'm interested in any brainstorms people
> might have.

It sounds like an environment custom-tailored for a PostgreSQL database.

You can actually write your application _inside_ postgres, as stored
procedures.  If you need the speed, write it in C or C++.  If you need
RAD, use perl or pl/pgsql.  Or they can extract data sets from the DB
and do the processing locally, whichever makes more sense.

Then your users just need to know enough SQL to get around.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com