[wplug] Starting From Scratch

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Fri Apr 20 13:08:07 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:30:42AM -0400, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:

> I've often thought 'boy, if we were starting from scratch, I would make sure we
> never did this, and ...'

I think it's pretty much a given that whatever plan you start with will
be amended down the road; whatever technologies/implementations you
start out with will eventually be discovered to suck in some aspect or
another.  The only thing that can be said with certainty is that "If I
were starting from scratch, I'd make sure to think things through and
formalize the plan and provide alternatives for future use."  You *will*
be changing things later, build with as much modularity and spare
capacity as can manage, so that later it won't be as much of a pain to
rip out / migrate away from / scale up.  The only constant is change, so
plan for things to change and you'll be alright.

Agility and thoughtfulness are more important than any specific
technologies or configuratia.  IMHO.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)