[wplug] OpenWRT vs. DD-WRT vs. stock

Richard Farina sidhayn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:17:26 EDT 2007

It should be noted that DD-WRT is built on top of Open-WRT and is simply
a pretty interface.  Functionally and stability wise, both are nearly
identical.  I suggest dd-wrt if you are a GUI Geek and openwrt if you
prefer a lighter wieght (ie able to add more neat features) AP.

As a matter of 802.11n hardware, there are no firmware images for
routers right now that can operate in 802.11n mode, although some of the
.11n devices can be used with 3rd party firmware, they will not function
at .11n speeds. I would expect this to change as atheros is finally
starting to release 802.11n support to madwifi. The broadcom chips will
likely be farther behind.

-Rick Farina