[wplug] OpenWRT vs. DD-WRT vs. stock

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:32:13 EDT 2007

Hello,

I've got a Linksys 54G (an early enough model that its effectively a GL).

It was working fine, until about four months ago.  At that time, my
girlfriend's iBook stopped connecting to it reliably.
Then, two weeks or so ago, my Thinkpad started having trouble.
I pulled up NetStumbler, and my wireless router seems to be inconsistent.
Its hard to explain, but what's notable is that rebooting it (via unplugging
and replugging its power) fixes it, if only temporarily.

Rebooting should not have much affect if its working correctly, in my
opinion.  It leads me to believe that there is some faulty hardware.  Its
about two and a half years, so I'm neither shocked nor appalled.

So here's my question:

I installed OpenWRT (White Russian) on it when it was relatively new.  I've
been about as happy with it as could be expected.  Some problems with DHCP,
but there are other things that might be to blame.  Largely, its been
invisible.  I really like dnsmasq -- an integrated DNS / DHCP server for
small networks.

So tomorrow, I'm going to get another router.  Not sure what kind, any
suggestions?  Probably go to a retailer for it, and I'm happy to hear
suggestions on that too.

I'd like to use the new router as the 'main' one, and set up the old one
maybe not too far away as a supplemental signal, via WDS.

What firmware would you go with?