[wplug] Fwd: [rubypgh] REMINDER: Great Guests and Great Topics at this week's Pittsburgh Ruby User Group meeting 1.3 on Thursday, April 19.

Greg Akins angrygreg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:14:58 EDT 2007

The next Pittsburgh Ruby User Group meeting is almost here! Make sure
you've cleared your
schedule for this Thursday night, April 19th, from 6 to 8pm in the 2nd
floor training room of
the Pittsburgh Technology Council building.  (We've only gotten a few
RSVP's to date, please let
us know so we can have an accurate head count for refreshments.)

6:00 - 6:45pm - Ruby 101: Back by popular request, Christian Kebekus,
CTO of medSage
Technologies, returns to present an introduction to frameworks, with a
hands-on demonstration of
the Rails framework for Ruby. Christian will also touch on the
importance of selecting the right
framework for your project and provide a brief overview of the Ruby
framework landscape. So
bring your laptop with Ruby, Rails and MySQL installed, and see how
easy it is to create your
first Rails application!

6:45 ~ 7:00pm - Refreshments and Networking: If you're working on a
Ruby project you can show
us, let us know and maybe do a little show-and-tell with the group.

7:00 ~ 7:45pm - Ruby Tech: Cameron McBride brings us this month's
topic, "Heavy lifting with
Ruby: Using Ruby-in-science and interfacing Ruby with C"
Dynamic languages like Ruby have many advantages to both simplify and
speed up  the development
cycle.  Sometimes, however, these languages make it difficult to
address the problem correctly.
Perhaps the problem of numerical processing makes the speed penalty
repugnant, or one simply
needs to utilize a pre-written library in another language.  Luckily
these are both issues that
Ruby can handle elegantly so we can have our cake and eat it too!!!
Cameron, a doctoral
candidate in Astrophysics at the University of Pittsburgh, will
present some simple cases of
extending Ruby with C, and discuss how this has helped him use Ruby
for scientific analysis.

ADVANNCE PREPARATION: To help you better prepare for these talks,
we'll be sending out an email
to let you know what software and libraries you should have
pre-installed. We'll also make sure
the public wireless is up and running at the tech council conference
room, and I'll try to have
a CD or memstick available with the code and libraries if possible.

Again PLEASE RSVP so that we can get an accurate count for refreshments!
If you're a member of the Pittsburgh Ruby GoogleGroup, you can email
your confirmation to the
group at mailto:rubypgh at googlegroups.com, or else email me personally at
mailto:schofield.david at verizon.net

Location Details:
The meeting will be held in the 2nd Floor Training Room of the
Pittsburgh Technology Council,
2000 Technology Drive, PGH. Free wireless is available in the training room.
(The council building is near the foot of Bates (that's the Parkway's
Oakland exit) by the Mon
river, along the road that ThermoFisher(Cellomics) and Union Switch
and Signal are on. See it at
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2000+Technology+Drive,+pittsburgh,+pa&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z
=16&ll=40.434209,-79.96871&spn=0.012233,0.026994&iwloc=addr)

-ds/ga

Groups "Pittsburgh Ruby Users Group" group.
rubypgh-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubypgh?hl=en