[wplug] Server choice

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:29:38 EDT 2007

Here are my thoughts:

First, if you predominantly have a particular platform (eg, you have all
BrandX computers), stick with that.

Second, think carefully about what warranty you get.  You can save a nice
chunk of change by getting 9-5x5 support instead of 24x7.  If you aren't
going to be monitoring it 24x7, then why bother paying more for it?  Of
course, sometimes you need it.

Third, figure out how much disk space you need.  Then, get a fast disk.  If
you only need 50GB (which is a lot of trouble tickets), get a 150GB
10,000RPM SAS disk or SATA disk.  Don't bother with a 750GB 7200 RPM drive
if you don't need the space.  And don't trouble yourself with a RAID array
if you don't need it.  Its a great thing when you need it, but it can be a
pain too.  It complicates things.

Finally, I always look for the sweet spot in processors.  You don't need to
get the cheapest one, but generally you can see the fastest or the top two
processors cost a lot more.  At one price point, you're paying $50 more for
10% more speed.  That might be OK.  At a higher price point,you may be
paying $200 more for 5% more speed.  That's not necessary most of the time.

And of course, don't skimp on things like RAM or a DVD drive.  They're going
to come in handy at some point in the life of this machine.  Think about
what this machine will be doing in five years.

It depends a lot on your organization and how you do things.  Personally, I
pinch the pennies, and we keep our machines in service for a LONG time.
Some people replace them more frequently.  Some people have racks, some
people like towers.