[wplug] [nycbug-talk] ZFS committed to FreeBSD base. (fwd)

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 7 05:05:48 EDT 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:15:28 -0700 (PDT)
"James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
>
> > On 4/6/07, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> It looks like FBSD is going to beat FUSE/Linux to the game.  Does someone
> >> want to phone in the 16 exabyte RAID array order to Dell? ~BAS
> >

> > Dude, for a 16 exabyte order, you're not just getting a Dell, you're getting
> > a steak dinner from the sales rep first.
> >

> This is the part I hated about talking to vendors. We were spec'ing
> air-conditioning units at a previous job, and one of the vendors called to
> see if I want to get lunch. I didn't like the guy's personality, so when I
> declined he started begging. He said if we didn't get lunch, he wouldn't
> get to eat. I've also turned down tickets to sporting events from disk
> array vendor because they weren't something I was interested in.
> Do things like this sway technical people's purchasing decisions?

Sometimes.  I know someone who's always drunk at the other company
in my building.  But they don't fire him because their largest
contract continues to renew that contract because of Mr. drunk.

Sometimes, it's not what you know but who you know.  In other
cases, anything to get a sale.

--
Tom Rhodes