[wplug] [nycbug-talk] ZFS committed to FreeBSD base. (fwd)

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat Apr 7 04:15:28 EDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:

> On 4/6/07, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
>>

>> It looks like FBSD is going to beat FUSE/Linux to the game.  Does someone
>> want to phone in the 16 exabyte RAID array order to Dell? ~BAS
>

> Dude, for a 16 exabyte order, you're not just getting a Dell, you're getting
> a steak dinner from the sales rep first.

This is the part I hated about talking to vendors. We were spec'ing
air-conditioning units at a previous job, and one of the vendors called to
see if I want to get lunch. I didn't like the guy's personality, so when I
declined he started begging. He said if we didn't get lunch, he wouldn't
get to eat. I've also turned down tickets to sporting events from disk
array vendor because they weren't something I was interested in.
Do things like this sway technical people's purchasing decisions?

-james