[wplug] wiki engines

Eli Heady eli.heady at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 10:59:48 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 10:14, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> Zach wrote:
> > A FOSS project I'm working on is looking for a new wiki to use. Right
> > now we have Moin Moin but most of the developers don't like it either
> > because 1) too obvious "wiki aesthetic" 2) takes too long and/or too
> > cumbersome to add new non-trivial content 3) some complain about lack
> > of tracking features. So I was wondering if anyone has a favorite wiki
> > for developer centric use? We're also looking around for a new wiki
> > for the main website for our game. So this one should be more user
> > centric and look very spiffy if anyone has suggestions on that as
> > well.
>
> For developer centric use, I have yet to find anything that can beat
> Trac[1].  It integrates nicely with subversion, provides a ticket
> tracker, and all sorts of other goodness.  If your managing a FOSS
> project, you really owe it yourself to check it out.  Authentication for
> Trac is pretty straight forward using .htaccess, which has a nice plus
> that you can use the same authentication and password file for your
> subversion repository if you mod_authz_svn.
>
> It's reasonably extensible to the point that I've seen people integrate
> it with automatic testing systems or buildbots.
>
> Plus, it's Python.
>
> --Patrick
>
> [1] http://trac.edgewall.com/

I completely agree. It was a bit rough to install the first time, but well
worth it.

If you have a vmware install to play with, here are two Trac VMs:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.343767.6
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/308

(note: I've not used either vm, but they come from reputable sources - even
though I would trust them enough for evaulation, you should do your homework
on the security implications.)

Both have somewhat outdated trac versions, so I'd recommend against production
use of them -- but they might be a good way to quickly evaluate Trac without
wading through the dependency installs.

hth,
eli