[wplug] wiki engines

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 3 10:14:58 EDT 2007

Zach wrote:
> A FOSS project I'm working on is looking for a new wiki to use. Right
> now we have Moin Moin but most of the developers don't like it either
> because 1) too obvious "wiki aesthetic" 2) takes too long and/or too
> cumbersome to add new non-trivial content 3) some complain about lack
> of tracking features. So I was wondering if anyone has a favorite wiki
> for developer centric use? We're also looking around for a new wiki
> for the main website for our game. So this one should be more user
> centric and look very spiffy if anyone has suggestions on that as
> well.

For developer centric use, I have yet to find anything that can beat
Trac[1].  It integrates nicely with subversion, provides a ticket
tracker, and all sorts of other goodness.  If your managing a FOSS
project, you really owe it yourself to check it out.  Authentication for
Trac is pretty straight forward using .htaccess, which has a nice plus
that you can use the same authentication and password file for your
subversion repository if you mod_authz_svn.

It's reasonably extensible to the point that I've seen people integrate
it with automatic testing systems or buildbots.

Plus, it's Python.

--Patrick

[1] http://trac.edgewall.com/