[wplug] OT: Possible Pathology on Cold-start?

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Sat Sep 30 14:34:29 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I know this is not a Linux question, but here goes:

Has anyone out in WPLUG-land seen a problem on cold-start, such that the
El Torrito boot attempt proceeds, the system then just stares at you with
the HD access light on, but hitting reset causes a good startup?  I'm
wondering if this could be indicative of a developing problem either in
the IDE chip or the hard drive.

The mainboard is a recent ( < two years old) ABit model, with DVD and CD-RW
drives and two rather old (five years) HDs, one an 80 Gb Maxtor, and I'd
have to reboot to see the other model (I *think* it's a Western Digital
60 Gb?)  Oh, and the phenomenon is quite consistent, over the last couple
of weeks or so.

Many thanks for any ideas,
DAC
--
Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion