[wplug] Need advice on 64 bit

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Sep 29 06:35:19 EDT 2006

On 09/28/2006 09:58 PM, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback.
>
> I thought I heard something about a 32 bit compatibility module for running 32
> bit apps. on 64 bit Linux.
> Is that true? If not, how do 32 bit programs run on a 64 bit OS?

The difference between x86_64 and x86_32 is not as great as, say, ia64
(Itanium) and x86_32.  The architecture is still nearly the same, with
only some 64 bit extensions for x86_64.  You can run a statically
compiled 32 bit app on x86_64 without any problems, you just need to
have the 32 bit libraries around for any 32 bit programs that need them.
   Many distros have the ability to install the standard 32 bit
libraries along side the 64, that's why there is a standard naming path
of using /lib64, /usr/lib64, etc for 64 bit libraries.

We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.