[wplug] Need advice on 64 bit

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 28 23:04:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 21:58 -0400, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback.
>
> I thought I heard something about a 32 bit compatibility module for running 32
> bit apps. on 64 bit Linux.
> Is that true? If not, how do 32 bit programs run on a 64 bit OS?

Yes, you can run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit version of linux.  I had quake
4 running on an x86_64 install of linux, but it's not the most straight
forward thing.  Basically there are two ways to do it: 1) use a chroot
jail with 32 bit compatibility libs, or 2) do a parallel install of the
libraries.  I chose the second route, but it was a pain.

Unless you really need it, you're better off running in 32 bit mode if
you like games.

--Patrick