[wplug] Need advice on 64 bit

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Thu Sep 28 14:48:24 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:39:25PM -0400, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:

> On 09/28/2006 02:15 PM, Coutch, Robert wrote:
> >My biggest question is: Should I run 32 bit Linux or 64 bit.

The previous posts' discussion of indifference to 64-bit (and outright
suckitude) aside, I've had quite a good experience running 32-bit
Linux on top of Xeons (64-bit procs).

So any hardware 'thusiasts out there want to comment on the
current-market hardware specs of 64- and 32-bit procs?  E.g., while
laptop shopping last week I discovered that the Turion (AMD's mobile
64-bit) seems to be underpowered vs. Intel's and AMD's standard
notebook procs.  Any thoughts about whether, assuming that the OS will
be 32-bit, current 64-bit or 32-bit offerings are substantially
better?

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)