[wplug] Need advice on 64 bit

fobitt fobitt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:36:08 EDT 2006

I've always found that the 64 bit versions are more trouble than they
are worth. You will run into some real annoying issues, such as the
32 bit plugins for Firefox not running out of the box and so on.  I
am sure there are ways around all of these little hiccups, but it
gets old real quick when you are trying to find them.  The
performance differences between 32 bit and 64 bit code is generally
not radically different (unless you need to allocate massive amounts
of RAM to specific programs).  In short, I just stick with the 32 bit
installs.
As for single or dual core... it really depends on how you use your
system. Right now I am really happy with the dual core chips. They
are amazingly good when you are running multiple programs. However,
if you are running a non-multi threaded program and you need it to
run as fast as possible, a fast single core processor is a bit
quicker.  Overall though, dual core = better.