[wplug] OS X + X11

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Tue Sep 19 07:24:32 EDT 2006

I don't work with iMACs too often and have a few simple questions I hope
someone can help me resolve.

I want to run GIMP on an OS X iMAC.  I downloaded GIMP but it will not
run without X11.  I checked the Apple website and they say that it is on
the OS X distro disk.  I could only find the X11 SDK so I installed it,
thinking that X11 would be bundled with it.  It may be but GIMP can't
find it.  So to my questions.

Where is X11 on the distro disk and how do I install it?  If it is not
on the disk, is it available elsewhere?

Do I need to start it prior to running GIMP?

Will installing X11 affect the normal OS X GUI?  I had guessed that the
normal OS X GUI was X11 based but apparently not?

-laweber