[wplug] Data Recovery Utility

fobitt fobitt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 08:35:41 EDT 2006

Ok I think I can help on this one.
Your best bet for simply recovering the data would be to use Autopsy
and The Sleuth Kit which is a forensics tool kit. It will go through
the drive and look for the data structure in all the blocks rather
than relying on the MFT info. The easiest way to use it is to
download the Helix live CD available here http://www.e-fense.com/
helix/.  Just boot from that disk and point Autopsy towards the
drive. It'll let you salvage it without too much of a problem.
It can take a little while to get use to the program so if you get
stuck somewhere just send me an email.

The second way you could try is to have gparted try to guess the
partition information but that is a bit riskier since you will
actually be writing to the drive.