[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM: Nominations & GNOME Sq Hill Library 9/16 12:30PM-4PM

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Sep 12 21:25:21 EDT 2006

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring GNOME It will be held on this Saturday September 16, 2006 from
12:30pm to 4:00 pm  at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Squirrel Hill. During
this meeting we will also be accepting nominations for the board.
This meeting is free and open to the general public. No RSVP required.

PLEASE NOTE THE LOCATION:
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Squirrel Hill
5801 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15217

THERE ARE TWO MAJOR CHANGES SO PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
1. WE WILL NOT MEET AT CARNEGIE MELLON ON SEPTEMBER 15
2. WE ARE MEETING AT 12:30PM NOT AT 10AM

Visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/

GUM Topic: GNOME
Speakers: Patrick Wagstrom

Linux on the desktop has been "The Next Big Thing" for many years now. Isn't it
about time that it actually happened? The GNOME project provides a stable,
robust, and dare I say, sexy, desktop environment for Linux and Unix that just
works. During this talk I'll give a bit of the history of the GNOME project and
show off how to get things done using GNOME. I'll highlight some of the new
features of the desktop and associated applications such as Banshee for music
and iPod integration, easy photo management with F-spot, email and calendering
with Evolution, and much much more. If you haven't looked at the Linux desktop
since the era of CDE and FVWM or have never considered it as a viable option,
this is your chance to get a closer look. Come see what you've been missing.

About the Speaker: Patrick Wagstrom is a Ph.D. student at Carnegie Mellon
University where he studies Open Source Software development, specifically
looking at the community interactions of the GNOME project. He is also
contributor to various projects related to the GNOME project, and is the
maintainer of MCatalog.

About the nominations:
We need members to show up at this meeting so that we can have quorum in order
to nominate the next board of Western PA Linux Users Group. Members
really should make an effort to show up because we will be giving door prizes
to members who are in attendance at the business meeting.

To charter members:
Those who paid dues anytime between (11/2004-9/2005) will be considered current
in dues until September 22, 2006. If you want to renew in person, please be
prepared to do so before the the business meeting on 9/16.

Schedule as follows:
12:30pm-1pm Social gathering - light refreshments
1pm-2pm business meeting
2pm-3pm GNOME talk
3pm-4pm Social hour
4pm-4:30pm tear-down

See you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Vice Chair

Upcoming Events...
Pittsburgh Perl Workshop September 23 http://www.pghpw.org/
4th Annual Ohio Linuxfest September 30 http://www.ohiolinux.org
Elections meeting October 21 12:30pm at Sq. Hill Library

For more information on this event or WPLUG please contact
info at wplug.org