[wplug] downtown wireless?

Richard Farina r.farina at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 5 21:29:43 EDT 2006

Zach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard we are getting free wi-fi downtown. I'd like to try it but
> I've never used wireless before.
I've heard of it, but I have not seen it, and believe me, I would notice ;-)
> How do I set it up in Linux? I have a wireless card but don't know how
> to install it.
you need wireless-tools installed, also the correct driver (not
ndiswrapper). Then I suggest "man iwconfig".... of course, I'm a console
jockey.
> Can others downtown eavesdrop on my communication and sniff my
> passwords and personal data?
they most certainly can
> How can I mitigate against this?

encrypt everything with strong encryption if you care to protect it.  No
one can do much with your google search, but don't telnet home as root,
or buy something on some unencrypted website.  Well, duh.  ;-)

-Rick Farina aka the dark side of WPLUG (the entire dark side I think)