[wplug] [wplug-announce] Moving On To Timesys

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Sep 4 21:49:40 EDT 2006

Hello,

For about nine years Western Pennsylvania Linux Users' Group has called
Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science home. This fall we will
be moving on with Squirrel Hill Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh as our
transitional venue. WPLUG will settle into our new home of Timesys in downtown
Pittsburgh this November. The maps on the website will reflect the venue
change in the next few days.

>From 2001 to August 2006, I reserved the rooms at Carnegie Mellon University as
a staff member of the Computing Facilities at the School of Computer Science.
My last day working there is September 5, 2006. I have accepted a position as
a Senior System Administrator with Timesys. This opportunity is a promotion
and chance to work for a Linux company.

It was with great consideration that I decided to resign my position with
Carnegie Mellon University due to the effect that it would have on WPLUG: I
will no longer request complimentary room reservations from Carnegie Mellon. In
years previous, other staff members ie Jonathan Billings, Brian Sammon, and
Jennifer Landefeld have placed the room in their name. At this time there
is no obvious successor to handle the room reservation task. I continue to have
many friends at the university. WPLUG continues to have many friends at
the university. With that said, it is not practical at this time for WPLUG to
stay without someone with keys to open the door. The board of WPLUG welcomes
the idea of returning to Carnegie Mellon if someone were to step forward
and handle the room reservations, even if it were only on an occasional basis.

Just to be perfectly clear: WPLUG was not asked to leave CMU but I can not in
good conscience impose by asking for rooms when I chose to leave CMU.
We are open to the invitation if one were to be extended. WPLUG has always been
an unincorporated not-for-profit educational group that is independent from
Carnegie Mellon University. I will bring a thank you card for Carnegie Mellon
to the September 16 membership meeting so that anyone who is interested can
sign the card. Huge thanks also is owed to Jennifer, Jonathan, and Brian
for all of the years they helped keep the door open.

My new employer, Timesys, has generously offered to donate their office as a
venue. Starting in November we will be moving there. This move has been
carefully planned so that we will not need to cancel a single meeting in the
process. Since I will need some time to get settled in my new job, we will meet
at the Carnegie Library in Squirrel Hill in September and October.

Thank you for your support in this matter.

Sincerely,

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Vice Chair
bethlynn at wplug.org