[wplug] Paris Hilton Releases Tinkerbell Linux

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Sep 4 14:53:26 EDT 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> I'm very sympathetic to the difficulty of being an outsider in a
> homogeneous culture, but I think Don's point was that the Paris Hilton
> piece was less anti-woman as it was anti- vacuous celebrity, while
> Beth Lynn's citation of the anti-sexism guidelines framed it as the
> former.

I see this is yet another "dumb blondes" have no business touching Linux
joke. As the FAQ I posted before points out, these jokes are really sexist
jokes in disguise. "Tinkerbell Linux" is not the first time that somebody
went there.

Does anyone recall Barbie OS?
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/barbieOS.htm

How about the folks who pasted images of tux on suggestive images of
women?

So... Let's talk about the dumb celebrity factor. Is anyone making mocking
rumors about some blonde famous man making his own distro?

Hey, I heard that Justin Timberlake is getting ready to ship his own Linux
distro: it's called "sync;sync;sync"

Take care,
Beth Lyn