[wplug] journal commit i/o error

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Thu Oct 26 08:40:17 EDT 2006

> Now, google tells me this kind of thing often happens with a hardware
> failure on the drive. Indeed, it seems to occur as the one drive gets
> full and the LVM goes to switch to the next drive. My
> question is this:
> is it pretty much assuredly a hardware problem, or might I be able to
> fix it with a (better) reformatting of my system? Could I
> have screwed
> something up in the LVM that's causing this error, or should
> I just RMA
> the drive as soon as possible?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> 	- SJML

First, I agree with Vance's advice on using smartmontools, especially in
a proactive monitoring fashion.  As for your question about LVM, it is
possible the problem was caused by incorrectly configuring LVM but not
likely.  We'd need to know more about your LVM, partitions and
filesystem to begin to answer that one.  Did you create the physical
volume on the new disk, extend the volume group, umount the partition,
extend the logical volume, and then extend the filesystem?  It would be
faster to rule out problems with the hard drives by using smartmontools
or the utility provided by your hard drive manufacturer.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086