[wplug] journal commit i/o error

Shane Liesegang shane at shaneliesegang.com
Wed Oct 25 17:21:13 EDT 2006

I did some googling on this, but couldn't find anyone with my particular
setup, so forgive me if this is pretty basic.

I recently got a new hard disk to add to my LVM setup in my MythTV box.
Having never done this before, I used the Fedora GUI tool
(system-config-lvm, I believe) to add the drive to the logical volume.

I came home the other day to find the machine more or less locked up
hard with a journal commit i/o error on the screen. I could SSH in, but
not alter or create any files. Directories that were clearly writable by
me were claiming I didn't have permission to write there.

Now, google tells me this kind of thing often happens with a hardware
failure on the drive. Indeed, it seems to occur as the one drive gets
full and the LVM goes to switch to the next drive. My question is this:
is it pretty much assuredly a hardware problem, or might I be able to
fix it with a (better) reformatting of my system? Could I have screwed
something up in the LVM that's causing this error, or should I just RMA
the drive as soon as possible?

Thanks for any advice.

	- SJML