[wplug] State of Linux Sound

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 21 20:36:53 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 19:51 -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> Hello list.  I am writing to ask a question about a nuisance that has been
> troubling me for awhile regarding sound on Linux.  I'm using Debian with a
> modern kernel (2.6.11) and Gnome for my desktop.
>
> The problem is with sound: specifically, only one program may make sound
> at a time; one program having control over sound causes others to fail
> silently (in multiple senses).  My understanding is that, due to /dev/dsp
> being but a single file, only one process is allowed write access to the
> file and so only one process may make sound.

http://pulseaudio.org/

Lennart Poettering is amazing.  This project used to be called
Polypaudio.  It's under active development too.  Seriously, it's pretty
slick.

I'm still kinda confused about why you're having these problems.  I've
got no problems with Flash and Banshee going at the same time.  I'm sure
I probably did something to fix this outside of the standard Ubuntu
setup.

That is all.

--Patrick