[wplug] State of Linux Sound

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Oct 21 19:51:15 EDT 2006

Hello list.  I am writing to ask a question about a nuisance that has been
troubling me for awhile regarding sound on Linux.  I'm using Debian with a
modern kernel (2.6.11) and Gnome for my desktop.

The problem is with sound: specifically, only one program may make sound
at a time; one program having control over sound causes others to fail
silently (in multiple senses).  My understanding is that, due to /dev/dsp
being but a single file, only one process is allowed write access to the
file and so only one process may make sound.

The solution to this is to run a dsp broker program like Esound or aRts.
The problem is, esound is stalled at version 0.2 and has not undergone
development in some integer number of years.  It is buggy, has huge
delays, and many programs don't interact well with it.  Because of that, I
have it disabled.  I don't know if aRts works with Gnome.

However, it wouldn't help me anyway since I often have multiple users
logged into the computer, using various window managers, any one of which
may want to make sounds periodically.

So right now I have given various users sudo privileges to kill processes
that might be using sound, so that they can 'steal' it on demand. But this
is obviously not a permanent solution.

Is there any chance of this being fixed in the future?  Is it a
deeply-seated deficiency in linux?  Some unavoidable consequence of some
aspect of POSIX architecture?  Could it be repaired inside the kernel?
Is that contrary to dogma?

Or, perhaps, am I misinformed about the state of the art?  Do the BSDs
have similar problems? etc.

Thanks for info,
Brandon