[wplug] URLs from October 19th Meeting

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 20 10:29:05 EDT 2006

Thanks to everyone that showed up last night to watch "Elephant's
Dream".  After the movie, I went over a lot of different programs and
technologies and provided a demo of a few of them.  There was a request
for the URLs of these programs.  So here they are.

You can download "Elephant's Dream" from The Orange Open Movie Project
website at http://orange.blender.org/

Blender, to 3d modeling tool can be found at http://www.blender.org/
The website also provides links to dozens of excellent tutorials on how
to use Blender.  The documentation really is top notch.

The movie mentioned quite a few other tools that were used to create it,
here's some links to them:

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program is a 8bit/channel image
editing program for most platforms.  It was used for texture creation
and touchups of the film.  http://www.gimp.org/

CinePaint - a fork of GIMP that allows for 16bit/channel image editing.
You can find it at http://www.cinepaint.org/

InkScape - a 2d vector graphics manipulation program is fast becoming
the standard for vector graphics manipulation.  http://www.inkscape.org/

OpenEXR - a specialized file format for HDR images, those gorgeous high
contrast images that aren't possible with a typical film camera.  It's
not that much of an end user system, but interesting nonetheless.
http://www.openexr.com/

Twisted - a killer event driven Python networking framework.  Really, if
you program network services, you owe it to yourself to check out
Twisted.  http://twistedmatrix.com/

In addition to the tools mentioned in the movie, I showed off a few
other tools that people may find interesting.  In particular, I showed:

F-Spot: A photo organization and cataloging program.
http://www.f-spot.org/

Banshee: A GNOME based media player that has full support for on the fly
transcoding from OGG->MP3 (so it syncs with iPods),
http://www.banshee-project.org/

That's all that I can think of.  Thanks for coming everyone.

--Patrick