[wplug] Net Neutrality: Three Questions

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 13:19:36 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/writing/net-neutrality.html

Thanks for this link, Zach. I always suspected that the telcos were
being propped up but I couldn't point to any evidence.

I wouldn't count out wireless in the future. There's been a lot of
hype about WiMax, but this sort of thing may finally deliver broadband
access to the remote regions that my family tends to live in.

Infrastructure development is a tough problem. Laying conduit does
cause troubles; ask anyone who's been forced to tap into municipal
water and sewage against their will. No wonder local authorities have
such difficulty, and it's not a problem that I can see a simple
solution to. I'd advocate competitive bidding for building and
long-term maintenance contracts, but that's just a gut feeling, based
on what's worked for highways.

I wonder if there's an "open source" way of thinking about the
last-mile problem. Someone, somewhere, could discover a process that
works if they could get a handle on it.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>