[wplug] Moyers & Internet

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 22:57:41 EDT 2006

Zach wrote:
> A Bill Moyers program on dangers challenging the future of the
> Internet will air tonight  from 9:00pm - 10:30pm (EST) on WQED-TV.
>
> Zach

Informative IMHO, but the program was definitely biased toward support
of preserving an equal opportunity Internet. (as is my statement...)

The issue is simply that telcos and cable want to strengthen their
monopolies, and continue to squeeze every penny they can out of the
consumer.  The consumer, because it is you and I that pay more in the end.

Also featured was discussion on the state of mass media in the US.  An
issue I knew about, but never really made impact until now.

If you have chance, and desire, do "catch" the re-broadcasts at:
Friday, October 20, 2:00am
Friday, October 20, 4:30am

I technical question on fiber optics.  What is the maximum theoretical
speed of a WAN deployed via fiber.  I realize that a 1Gbps LAN is rather
easily done, but what at a neighborhood wide scale?

Dave