[wplug] Linux/OSS in Forbes

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Sat Oct 14 14:23:47 EDT 2006

> I like Thinkpads.  In my limited experience, they're the best.  If I
> need a laptop, I'm going to buy one.  And if it has an Intel wireless
> card, that won't affect my purchase too much.  If I could pay an extra
> $20 for one with open drivers, I would.  But it might not be offered.
> There are trade offs, and things aren't always perfect.  And I know part
> of the FSF's anti-drm movement is more about Tivo locking users out of
> their boxes than iTunes and AAC DRM.

 	You could also yank the Intel wifi card out, and throw it like a
frisbee out your window. Replace it with something else that works with
Linux. The wireless card is a miniPCI card, with some kinda antenna
connectors on it (the laptop has the antenna in it, which connect to the
card). Don't get one of those 400mw cards, you'll fry your nuts.

 	I bought an El Cheapo RT2500-based card, which is supposed to only
work in MSI notebooks. I was overjoyed when I found out that there was a
following of this cheap card, and there were non-emmulated open-source
drivers for Linux. So, that's what I've got in my Dell (drewbook), and it
works great.

 	Okay, so the bluetooth also on the card doesn't work, but I can
get 'net and use kismet.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net