[wplug] Linux/OSS in Forbes

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Fri Oct 13 23:33:08 EDT 2006

Elwin Green wrote:
> <!-- DIV {margin:0px} --> Forbes magazine has a package about
> Stallman, the GPL, and Linux. It's online here:
>
> http://www.forbes.com/

Well, does this mean we should table plans for changing our name to
WPLGUG (the Western Pennsylvania Gnu/Linux User Group)?

I think the FSF would have better served users by working harder to make
Linux truly open source.  The GPLv3 could have focused on getting all
drivers to have their source available (think wireless network cards and
OpenBSD.)

DRM is something that consumers can vote with their wallets on.  Just
like hardware with binary only drivers.  But binary only drivers are a
real problem today.  DRM is something I can deal with.  I can download
mp3's from eMusic or rip cd's to FLAAC.  But I can't get a good open
source driver for my wireless NIC.