[wplug] Mastering Linux

Brent M. Rust rust at lucasware.com
Thu Oct 12 18:04:39 EDT 2006

>"Oh, I have to run the uninstaller, download the new installer, and
then run the new installer... for each software package >I have...
terrific..."

>Joe

I am pretty sure windows has only updated their installer in the last
few months. Only a few times in the last few years form my memory (but I
am sure I will be corrected). I have only had to deal with the installer
version once when I was updating .NET in a server that hadn't been
service packed.....other than that, very few problem in the past several
years.

But with Linux, we just scrapped our Red Hat Enterprise EX box for
something more friendly. Win Server 2003 Std. It's not necessarily
perfect, just what works for us for that application. We don't have
anyone in the office that is comfortable enough to rely on anything
Linux (or it's many flavors) for a production server. And there aren't
enough people out there for immediate support either. We had to go
Windows.

My issue is the dependencies. If you don't have the just right version
of something, you can't install anything else that has dependencies for
what might need to be installed/updated. Sound like the rhetoric of
".dll hell" from the older windows days to me......

Brent