[wplug] Know something cool? Share it!

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 12 09:42:13 EDT 2006

Hey you!  Yes you!  Over there with the computer.  You know cool stuff.
You know you want to share it and show other people your cool stuff.  So
here's your chance.

At the Saturday, October 21st meeting of WPLUG we'll be doing lightning
talks.  We're looking for a few folks to get up and do a 5-10 minute
talk on some subject that is related to WPLUG.  How related?  Well,
basically, if it's Linux or nerdy, that's good enough.  Here's some
sample topics that I came up with just now:

* A Nifty cluster setup at home
* How OpenBSD differs from NetBSD
* Making the most out of OpenOffice.org
* Apache and Ruby on Rails
* LDAP integration
* XGL/AIGLX Compiz/Beryl graphics bling
* One Laptop Per Child
* Linux at your company
* Gaming in Linux
* What's coming up in KDE 4
* How to use Screen for neverending IRC sessions
* How to use IRC and get on #wplug
* OpenACS
* The black-magic of autoconf/automake
* Pike under Linux
* Graphical displays using Cairo
* Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi/Rendezvous
* Power management
* Jabber
* Programming in Python
* Simple shell script magic
* Inkscape
* DistCC
* Samba
* The Gimp
* Krita
* Fun with Ogg
* Why Banshee Rocks
* Video editing in linux
* Cool hardware hacks
* Linux on the DS Lite
* X11 magic
* YOUR TOPIC HERE...

See, there really is no pattern to that list.  That means that whatever
your skill, you can give a talk on it.  You don't need to be the author
of a piece of software to talk about it.  If it's interesting to you,
most likely someone else also finds it interesting.  These are low
pressure talks and are a great way to get the feel for what giving a
full WPLUG talk is like.

To sign up, visit
http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20061021

If you're uncomfortable with the whole wiki thing, email me and I'll put
you there.  It's a lot of fun and WPLUG will thank you!

Thanks!

--Patrick