[wplug] OpenLDAP address book

Michael Mulich mrmst13 at rmu.edu
Wed Oct 11 19:03:15 EDT 2006

Hello,
----Background Information----
I've been trying for some time now to place the company contact list (or
address book) in a central location for a few reasons.
One I'm extremelly tired of combinding everyones contact list.  Then
sifting through the finished product for duplicates... not that I
actually do this by hand, but it's still a headache.
Two I'm always getting requests to give certain ppl an updated copy of
the list so they can do broadcast emails.  Just to make this clear...
I'm not spamming it's for various non-profit events that ppl may opt out
of.
Third and lastly, not everyone is using the same email client, but the
majority are using ms office outlook 2003.  This is the bigest issue,
getting outlook to work with this type of thing without going the active
directory route.
---Main Point---
I don't want to use active directory but also I don't think we can
afford it.  I'd like to use OpenLDAP, which is what i've been prepping
to use.    There is so much information about how to do this, yet I
cannot pin point a particular solution.  I'm in the midst of converting
the current contact list from csv to ldif.  Only problem is I don't know
how to map the data fields.  I know the common ones of course, like
e-mail goes to 'mail'.  The main issue is compatability with outlook's
address book.
I am hoping someone has done this before, and can give me some pointers
or even a full solution. =D  Also, a side issue but I don't think it
will be a problem is getting the contacts off palm pilot's and i believe
this can be done through outlook as a medium.
Any Help Would Be Greatful!
ta,

Michael Mulich
Email:  mrmst13 at rmu.edu