[wplug] Wireless card not initialized on 2.6.16 kernel

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Oct 11 01:25:25 EDT 2006

Hey all,

I have a Linux system I recently upgraded from 2.6.8 to 2.6.16.. installed
udev and have no reason to believe it's not working.. lots of other stuff
changed too. Now, my wireless PCMCIA card doesn't work anymore. I have the
driver ('orinoco') and I can modprobe it and it loads just fine, but it
doesn't do anything.

When I insert the PC card it is detected... it gets registered and shows
up in /var/log/messages...  It isn't identified as a wireless network
card, however. How do I get linux to notice the card and pay attention to
it (and give me my network interface)?

/var/log/messages excerpt:
Oct 11 01:19:15 localhost kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
Oct 11 01:19:15 localhost kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
Oct 11 01:19:54 localhost b:  -- time passes --
Oct 11 01:19:56 localhost kernel: pccard: card ejected from slot 0

Thanks in advance,
Brandon