[wplug] "The Net at Risk"

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 10 18:20:58 EDT 2006

Ripped from Public Knowledge's Blog:

::SNIP::
Bill Moyers has a 90-minute documentary on Net Neutrality that will air
over Public Broadcasting Service stations on Tuesday evening, Oct. 18.
Check your local listings for time.

Here’s a link to the (show:)
[http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/net/index.html], called “The
Net at Risk.” Watch the preview, and you can get a feel for the show.

Moyers and his staff held an online chat this afternoon to talk about
the show. The first hour will be a look at the struggles over the issue
at the federal and state levels. The last half-hour will focus on how
low-power radio stations kept information flowing in the Gulf Coast
following Hurricane Katrina at a time when commercial stations were shut
down.

Moyers said in the chat that while there’s a great deal of public
support for an open Internet, large campaign contributions have
prevented Congress from acting, much as such contributions have
contributed on a variety of other issues. Moyers noted that over time,
each new medium has been promised to enlighten the public and further
the goals of democracy, whether the medium was radio, TV or cable.
Today, however, those are all controlled “by commercial and corporate
interests.” He warned that, “If past is prelude, we shouldn’t be
sanguine about the Internet because large economic interests can move
the agenda to benefit their interest and purposes.”
::/SNIP::

Bill Moyer's is sharp.  REALLY sharp.  I miss his show every week.  He's
been in politics and journalism for year.  He cuts through the crap to
the crux of the issue.  Watch him.

In Pittsburgh it's on at 9pm on Wed, October 18, and again at 2am and
4:30am on Friday, October 20.  If people are interested, I can bring a
copy of the video of it for viewing or something.

--Patrick