[wplug] Mastering Linux

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Oct 10 07:58:44 EDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Michael wrote:
>  for all my work, yet still be able to do admin functions just by
> typing in the root password, i.e. to install software.
>        There is one thing that drives me nuts though... Why is it
> so HARD to install or update software?  Upgrading Firefox or
> Shockwave can be like pulling teeth, only not quite as pleasant.
> Sometimes I get lucky and manage to do it correctly... but as I
> change from one version of Linux to another the process seems to
> change.  It would sure be nice to click on "update" to get the
> latest version of Firefox... Windows can do it... I know Linux
> could... but doesn't.

This is one of the problems with linux, since there are so many
different distros, every one has its own way of doing an upgrade.
Often, when upgrading software that is outside of the distros'
upgrade method, you'll run into this problem.  The advantage, and
potential failing,  of Windows is it has a huge, common installation
mechanism.  However, you'd probably find that if you try installing
something with windows that exists outside of it's typical
installation mechanism, you'll have just the same problem as with linux.

>         My best luck with with Mandrake... which is now
> Mandriva.... so I switched to Fedora 4 when they reorganized and am
> considering Ubunto.  Right now I'm still using Fedora 4, but I
> would really like to be able to play MP3's, update Flash,
> Shockwave, and Firefox... but the Red Hat update servers will not
> cooperate and I have had little luck manually upgrading.  Where can
> I find a really good, understandable tutorial to show me how to
> update Fedora and find the right plugins to play MP3s and assorted
> video files?  Can Linux do .wmv files too?  Thanks for the help!

There are alternate fedora yum repositories that will allow you to
install software that'll play mp3s, wmvs, etc.  Other distros such as
Ubuntu have similar means of getting non-standard software.