[wplug] Page translation?

Eli Heady eli.heady at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 09:04:23 EDT 2006

On Friday 06 October 2006 16:18, Zach wrote:
> Is there a way I can implement this automatic translation
> on the client side (I don't have control of the server side
> for my homepage)? Preferably something that is FOSS.

There's always Google: http://www.google.com/language_tools

Google has a service that embeds language tools into your pages (where you
want, using js) ... but I can't find it now, and as I recall the selection of
languages and layout were limited.

When I had to do this for a client, I came up with the links on
http://www.eslpittsburgh.net/ . The flags at the top are just links to
Google's translation page noted above with the URLs pre-filled with the
needed language codes. This loads the target page in frames, obviously not on
your site, so this solution is not at all transparent. I've never seen a
client-side translation script (js, vbs, what have you) that doesn't just
redirect the request to Google, AltaVista, or whatever, so something like
this kludge may be your best bet. Somebody prove me wrong, though, if there
are better tools for this.

hth,
eli