[wplug] Page translation?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 6 16:51:11 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 16:29 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Typically when you see this, it's because the designer has
> internationalization (known as i18n in the wrong circles), which
> simply means they have a bunch of pre-generated translations
> available, and the backend knows to supply the appropriately
> translated text based on the language requested.  It's not doing
> generated translation, just picking up the already translated text.
>
> Here's some examples of i18n: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-
> i18n/ch-examples.en.html

One of the niftiest features of this layout is that if a user has their
web browser set to a particular language, and those files exist on the
server, they'll automatically get the correct language.  I had my
desktop set to spanish some months ago and it annoyed me to no end the
fact that I could visit http://www.debian.org/ or http://www.google.com/
and it would keep on writing to me in spanish.  In retrospect, I should
have been happy, after all, I was trying to learn spanish.

--Patrick