[wplug] Keeping LVM across reinstall

Edward Walter ewalter at walterama.com
Wed Nov 29 23:42:28 EST 2006

A really simple test would be to try mounting your logical volume under
a bootable CD like knoppix.  There are really easy details on how to do
that here:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/LVM2

I would also recommend looking at the LVM howto pages:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

They seem to indicate that the volume metadata is stored at the
beginning of each physical volume (block device).  Note that they also
recommend creating partitions for your physical volumes rather than
assign the whole unpartitioned disk.  This helps other operating systems
recognize that "something" is there.  I believe the partition type for
Linux LVMs is "8E".  Hope that helps.

-Ed

ps. When in doubt... backup your data before making changes.