[wplug] Keeping LVM across reinstall

Shane Liesegang shane at shaneliesegang.com
Wed Nov 29 22:40:15 EST 2006

I have a machine on it with the following partition scheme:

sda1 - /
sda2 - swap
sda3 - /boot
sda5 + sdb = LVM for media storage, mounted on /media

I went to upgrade it to FC6 (from FC5) and wanted to do a clean re-install
to get rid of some strange RPM gremlins. I want to keep the LVM, though.
Unfortunately, anaconda didn't even see sdb, and I chickened out of
formatting the other partitions for fear I would lose the logical volumes
and their precious data.

Could someone a bit more knowledgeable than me about LVM give some advice?
Is the LVM configuration stuff stored in the partition table or somewhere in
the filesystem itself? What's the best way to wipe out / and /boot but
retain the overall drive structure?

Any help would be much appreciated.