[wplug] Issues with sshd

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Nov 17 07:11:18 EST 2006

On 11/17/2006 01:04 AM, Ben Beige wrote:
> Hello List,
> Hey I'm trying to setup sshd to listen off my home private network, to
> cojnenct remotely from outside I am using Debian Etch, and I've got a
> belkin router forwarding the external port on my public ip from 2200
> to 22 (I am on armstrong cable and they(we?) block ports below 1024),
> I can ssh all day form my windows box on my network, via putty... but
> I can not hit it off my network... I've verified the port forwarding
> works, and well that sshd works... am I missing anything?

You can probably test things by ssh'ing to port 2200 of your public IP,
even from inside your private LAN.  Also, try telnetting to port 2200 of
your public IP, to see if it even gives you the SSH login banner (should
look like this "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3").  This will just demonstrate that
the port is open, at least from the perspective of the Belkin device.

We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.