[wplug] Issues with sshd

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 17 01:21:27 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:04:00 -0500
"Ben Beige" <dariuscardren at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
> Hey I'm trying to setup sshd to listen off my home private network, to
> cojnenct remotely from outside I am using Debian Etch, and I've got a
> belkin router forwarding the external port on my public ip from 2200
> to 22 (I am on armstrong cable and they(we?) block ports below 1024),
> I can ssh all day form my windows box on my network, via putty... but
> I can not hit it off my network... I've verified the port forwarding
> works, and well that sshd works... am I missing anything?

>From the outside, are you actually connecting to port 2200 or
to port 22?  Is there any firewall setup?  What exactly is the
issue, do you get a time out on the connection or???

Perhaps it's a DNS issue, I've timed out after my username once
when DNS was not functioning (off by one error with the IP I
placed in resolve.conf).

Have you looked in auth.log to see if there are any error
messages like fatal time outs, etc.?  Perhaps using verbose,
-v, will show something.

Sorry for all the debugging options, but I'm not sure if you're
timing out, failing on authentication, or something else.

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes